Time Thief

Thursday, August 11, 2005

happy dance

Alright gang, it _can_ be done. I've had a positive experience with a contractor! Can you believe it?! The drywall work is finished.

- Started on Tuesday, worked from 8 - 3:30 with no lunch break. Finished the first two coats, despite having a run-in with the "octopus of death" that is my circuit panel.
- Returned at 8 am Wednesday for the final coat which took approximately 2 hours. He had been double-booked that day, so he had to skedaddle in the middle of it, but he came back as promised.
- When I returned from my 7am (ugh!) meeting this morning, the sanding was finished and he was vacuuming the carpet, even though I told him not to worry about it since it's getting chucked soon.

The final sale for time and materials was at the top end of the "office estimate", but below his "field estimate". That included the "extra" work he did. You see, I wanted the unfinished walls done, but all the other walls had various holes from moving electrical outlets, etc. that I was going to take care of. As he said it, "I'm here. It needs to be done. I've got a pan of mud that's going to go in the trash because I need to re-mix. I may as well throw it on the wall." He even ventured off into the hallway to work on a "person falling through ceiling" patch. He wasn't as thorough on those spots, but he got me more than half-way there.

Check out how much tapering he did on the butt joints! This should look pretty dang good after paint.


There are a couple of minor flaws I noticed after he left. I could call him back in to fix, but they're small enough that I'll probably just do them myself. I wasn't surprised to find a few things. Heck, I could spend days on end doing "final touch-ups". In the sea of dust, it's easy to miss a few things.

3 Comments:

  • A positive experience with a contractor? I’ve heard rumors, but I didn’t think it was really possible.

    By Blogger Greg, at 5:09 PM  

  • Wow, awesome. You should tell my mom & dad that you actually found a contractor you can trust -- they could be willing to fly him from KS to TN to do the work that's half-finished in their house.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:01 AM  

  • Wonderful! Hope my next contractor-related endeavor is a positive one.

    By Blogger Ms. P in Jackson, at 11:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home