Time Thief

Monday, August 01, 2005

Frankenstein's step-Granddaughter, perhaps?

While not nearly as impressive as the Frankenstein Hutch, I've been working on a furniture project of my own.

I have an "old" (old in the sense of broke-down and tired, not in years of life) particle board armoire-type cabinet that I had been using in the first floor bedroom. It didn't make the cut to be moved upstairs to the new bedroom. I figured I would just leave it in the guest room to store blankets, sewing supplies, etc. Of course I knew that would mean giving it a coat of paint. I believe it has changed colors at every new home. My odd little brain assumed I would just paint it white. It is shabby, so why not shoot for shabby-chic, no?

At the same time, I've started to have a hankering for a piece of black furniture. It does seem to be the latest trend and the marketers have been dangling black case goods in my face at every chance. It's all over the Pottery Barn and HDC catalogs. I've even seen a lot of it popping up at antique malls where the dealers have taken an insignificant piece, given it a nice black finish, and voila -- instant class. It's just too much for an ex-goth-wannabe to resist. I think the tipping point was when I went over to a co-worker's house for a meeting a few weeks back. I had to sit right next to a big 'ole black sideboard. It taunted me the entire time.

I finally put 2 and 2 together and realized I should paint this cabinet black. So, a couple weeks ago while in the HD, I picked up some black paint. I've been wavering a lot between HD and Sherwin Williams. Neither one has my loyalty. I used SW on the exterior, HD upstairs, SW on the guest room walls, HD on the rest of the guest room...... Given my desire to cut HD out of my life as much as possible, I haven't figured out why I keep going back there for paint. It must be the convenience factor.

Anyway, I normally head straight for the Behr chips. Glidden seems cheap to me and Ralph Lauren paint? Don't get me started -- I think the idea is absurd. However, I entered into this color selection with an open mind because I wanted to get the shade just right. I scanned all the chips for the one I thought was closest to the pieces I've drooled over the most. And wouldn't ya know -- it was a Ralph Lauren chip! Reluctantly, I had the RL paint mixed, and I'm glad I did. After this painting experience, I think I'll start with RL paint from now on! I love the finished sheen and it smoothes out really well.

The black turned out exactly as I envisioned. A few new glass knobs (on sale...didn't have the patience to wait for a salvage find) and hinges make it (almost) complete. There used to be a piece of wood inside that braced it for strength and filled in the gap between the doors and the top drawer. It broke in two long ago and I finally removed the pieces. I think I need to replace it so you can't see the inside when the doors are closed.



The inside of the cabinet has always been very dark. I considered painting it white, then realized I should take the opportunity to use up some "reject" paint. I used 'Celery Ice' for the first coat, but it was a little too neon. Next I tried 'Honeysuckle White' and am happy with that. The bottom drawer was so plain (and still is) so I changed the single, center pull to two pulls.

If I'd have known I would like the end result so much, I would've taken "before" shots. Got re-use out of some junk and fulfilled my desire to spend money on something I'll probably hate in 5 years. Not a bad project.

5 Comments:

  • That looks great! I can't believe it's anything you would have called old or junky before!

    By Blogger K., at 10:33 AM  

  • I too have been lusting over the black-painted wood furniture look. What was the name of the RL color you ended up with? The armoire looks fabulous!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:04 PM  

  • Oh, sorry! Forgot to mention that, didn't I? It's called 'Surrey' and I used a satin finish.

    By Blogger SmilingJudy, at 7:43 PM  

  • Well, this struck several chords with me.

    1. This piece is an old friend --I remember when it was green and purple, no?

    2. A friend in Boston told me the RL paint really did cover well and looked better than other brands. Of course I pooh-poohed her. But, I had a similar experience at HD looking for the right shade of eggplant for the guest bedroom, and of course it turned out to be RL brand. I love that paint! It really covered so well and so evenly.

    3. Honeysuckle White is my trim paint color. Send me the leftovers because I still have 4 rooms to paint.

    And finally, it looks great! Love the glass hardware.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:40 PM  

  • :) Hee-hee. Yes, first it was green, then it was purple, then it got a "whitewash" on top of some of the purple. I think it's finally blossomed into womanhood.

    I can't help but think of Jul every time I walk past that damn RL display at the depot.

    4 rooms! No wonder Ry is begging me to show up on your doorstep. I find the act of painting trim to be quite zen-like. Probably better meditation than weeding. I just don't like the prep. So get the prep done and I'll come do the painting.

    By Blogger SmilingJudy, at 3:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home