Time Thief

Thursday, September 29, 2005

Delayed Post-Chicago wrap-up

Okay, so this has absolutely nothing to do with houses of any sort, but since HouseBlogs grew out of Chicago, it's getting posted here. Besides, it's my blog and I can write what I want to. (sung to the tune of "It's My Party") It feels a bit like old news, but I had to get through the required travel illness, then catch up on work-work and house-work that fell behind during the trip and illness recovery.

I finally had a fun trip to Chicago. The Lakeview area is quite lovely. (Thanks again, Jocelyn. You have no idea how much having that little bit of information helped.) I was able to walk to and from the Metro from my hotel and felt absolutely safe. The hotel was a nice mix of aged charm and modern convenience. The weather was beautiful. Everyone I came in contact with was very pleasant, including the security people at the airport. The Metro is an awesome venue. (Alli - Tell Jason he can move there now and I will come visit.) I didn't feel too out of place with all the hipster kids and a "little boy" even attempted to hit on me. ;) Overall: Yay, Chicago!!

This time, I did observe things with more of an architecture-oriented eye and this was really the first time I've spent much time observing a Chicago "neighborhood". As an outsider, it's actually quite funny to see all the houses made of brick. I know they're all brick and I know why they're all brick, of course, but it never struck me before. Maybe I just need to get out more. ;)

Mr. Gardener's performance, though far too short, was amazing. He says he'll be back 'round in a few months with a full band, so I guess I should start saving up for another trip.



I stuck around for BRMC partially hoping that they would lure Mark back on stage to do a Ride cover, but also because, by all accounts, I should love this band. They consistently name Ride (Mr. Gardener's previous band) as one of their major influences.



I've known _of_ them since their start, but just never sought them out so I didn't know much about their sound.



I get it now...I totally do. Magnificent.



Since returning, I've bought their first and third albums and can listen to nothing else. I have a little longer before I get too old for this stuff, right?

** To avoid a lawsuit - the BRMC shots were nicked from the BRMC website posted by other show attendees.

=========================

PostScript: Program your Tivo now for Letterman on October 12th when BRMC will be performing. Okay, I'll shutup now.

3 Comments:

  • I loved Ride and it's good to see Mark Gardener is still giving it a go. Poor Andy Bell, stuck in a rut with that Beatles cover band! Cheers for the info.

    By Blogger mp3hugger, at 3:14 PM  

  • btw did you know Time Thief was a great song by a great band called the Pale Saints!

    By Blogger mp3hugger, at 3:17 PM  

  • Indeed, I did. Think I subconsiously named the blog after that song, but didn't think about it until a couple of months later. I hadn't listened to that album in ages.

    By Blogger SmilingJudy, at 4:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home