Time Thief

Friday, September 02, 2005

For the house history fans...

I have now enacted a moratorium on news coverage in my home. I have been watching way too much CNN. There is only so much you can take before you need to get on with things or you risk paralyzing your own life. There's a nice discussion going on here about how dwelling on all the tragedies of the world will simply make a person ineffectual. I've done what I can from here. Carrying on....

The "heart" of the burb I live in is essentially made up of post-war houses. There are the "cape-cod-style" tract homes like mine that were constructed by a big developer in the Kansas City area. There are also a bunch of what I've heard described as "California-style contemporary" that were probably constructed in the mid-50's. Interestingly, when I did a search for listings online, I had trouble finding an example of exactly what I'm talking about. The style must be more popular than I realized. The listings located here, here, and here are in the same genre.

I never understood where this style came from. It seemed out of place. Today I may have found a clue. Read about the interesting history of a neighborhood house here. What's even more interesting to me is the house's nemesis developer may very likely have been the man responsible for my house (and, one could argue, responsible for suburban sprawl)!

During my search for contemporaries, I found this pricey little number that is available and looks like it could be a Goff or Goff-knockoff. None of these places are my style, but as a fellow house voyeur, I still find them interesting.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home