Time Thief

Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Blue Blood

Since I'm in the home stretch on the bathroom, I've been making approximately 2.5 trips to Lowe's per day. (As an aside, I was given an HD gift card last week, so I went there a couple of times. I can't believe I used to be Orange only. After 3 weeks as a Lowe's shopper, the HD stores just seem horrible!)

The Prairie Village Art Show and neighborhood garage sale is this weekend, so I'll be trying to pawn some of my junk and not-so-junk off on unsuspecting visitors. I'm super short on time for this week so while I was at Lowe's getting shut-off valves, I trekked over to the area where they have 'Garage Sale' signs to look for price stickers. All they had was a package with pre-printed prices. I figured this will have to do, grabbed a package, but still wandered through the aisle as if blank stickers would magically appear behind some forgotten box.

The friendly Lowe's employee who was stocking shelves asked if I needed any help. I showed him the package of pre-printed stickers. "I would love it if you guys had these without prices on them".

Friendly Lowe's guy -- "No, I don't think so. They just reset this section last week, so if we did, it would be right here."

He walks closer to me.

FLG -- "You'd probably have to go to Home D.." Erm.

Pause. I smile at him and offer, "Office Depot?"

FLG -- "Office Max. You'd probably have to go there to find those."

Me -- "You were going to say Home Depot, weren't you?"

FLG(grimacing) -- "Ssssshhhh."

Me -- "Don't worry. I don't bleed orange anymore. I only bleed blue since you guys opened this store."

FLG -- "That's good, then this will just be our little secret."

FLG -- "What's that other place called?"

I straightened him out on the various office supply stores.

FLG -- "Office Depot! That's it. That's what I meant."

(What makes this even funnier to me is I often have the same name confusion with those two. Now that I don't go to HD anymore, maybe that will clear up. )

Me -- "Don't worry your secret is safe with me."

FLG -- "Thanks."

FLG(returning to his stocking duties) -- "You just made my day"


Ahh, glad to be of service, nice Lowe's guy. I worked retail for 8 years. Be nice to your retail workers. They need a little excitement in their day and sometimes it's just a nice little exchange like this to do the trick. I know people complain a lot about the lack of help they get from HD and Lowe's employees. Get over it. They're retail workers. They're not trained nor paid enough to know everything you want to know. (Complete neglect and incompetence are a whole different story.) The ones that do seem to know what they're talking about.....trust me, you probably don't want to know them in real life. They're total a$$holes.

3 Comments:

  • Ha, you made me laugh with that last line! It's so true. When I do find someone "knowledgeable" at a store, I usually end up standing there doing that eyes-wide-open-when-will-they-shut-up thing.

    By Blogger K, at 10:07 AM  

  • Yep, that's the guy.

    By Blogger SmilingJudy, at 8:53 AM  

  • Yes, I'm becoming adept at determining when a HD employee ACTUALLY knows what he/she is talking about, and when they are just pretending to know. I realize they've got no training, so I don't blame them if they're not experts - I just wish they'd fess up to the not-knowingness instead of inadvertantly causing 3 trips to the store for the right plumbing part......

    I've noticed that the women are much more willing to shrug and admit they're clueless. Must be a macho guy thing ;)

    I second your observation on retail - I was a waitress, and I know that very small comments/actions from nice customers could totally turn my day around. Most treat you like you don't exist, so when someone is friendly it's like a breath of fresh air.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home