Time Thief

Saturday, May 06, 2006

Blue Vinyl

A fellow houseblogger's post (I'm sorry I don't remember who it was!) a while back tipped me off to the movie Blue Vinyl. What a great flick! Makes you think and is quite entertaining. I was feeling pretty good about myself, curled up on the couch in my living room wrapped in James Hardie siding. Until I realized I should've made a better attempt at recycling the steel siding I removed...especially since steel is apparently in high demand now.

The movie has another associated website with more anti-PVC info and green building resources.

3 Comments:

  • I'm not sure if this is the same lady but I watched something on TV about two years ago. I think it was on TLC or Discover. Either way, she had cervical cancer and had to undergo a full hysterectomy and she wasn't even 30 years old. She wasn't sure how to get rid of the old vinyl, so she cut it up into squares and put a sticker on it warning people to never throw it away because it will never rot and causes cancer. She would hand these out at fairs and whatnot. It was a real eye-opener and is the main reason why I won't side my house with vinyl (even though I'd like to just for the energy savings). Did this have a woman who had a super-rare form of liver cancer caused by PVC? She had only worked at the PVC factory for 9 months and developed the cancer.

    By Blogger Ms. P in Jackson, at 3:18 PM  

  • The woman from the film came and talked to our local Bungalow Club last year, but I wasn't able to make the talk. I keep meaning to track down a copy of the film, but then again my house is filled with lead, asbestos and just a wee bit radon.....I'm not sure I could handle it.

    By Blogger StuccoHouse, at 7:57 PM  

  • Yes, it was probably her. She didn't get cancer from PVC though. She got it because her mother had taken some "fertility" drugs that the drug companies apparently knew would cause problems in any resulting children.

    Same with the PVC. Her real fight is not that it's an inherently bad product, but that the companies know the dangers to people and just cover it up to continue making money.

    By Blogger SmilingJudy, at 8:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home