Time Thief

Tuesday, December 13, 2005

siding - year(s) in review

Okay, so I know I said I was doing the 'siding is finished' happy dance a while back, but now it is absolutely, positively, 100% done. Really, I mean it.

Days above 35 degrees (suitable for painting) have been hard to come by. When they started showing up this past weekend, there was all the snow to melt through before I could stand outside and paint without feeling like I was enduring some sort of ancient water torture. I endured minimal water torture Sunday evening to get the second coat of trim paint on. First coat of body paint yesterday and second coat today. I was slightly late for a meeting this afternoon because of my painting quest, but no way in hell was I not going to get it finished today. Rain/snow for tonight and temps barely above 30 degrees for the foreseeable meteorological future.

So, with the monster project behind me, I have to say I really love James Hardie siding. It takes paint like a dream and just looks so nice. Would I ever do it again? Absolutely. As a DIY project? Likely not. It's such grueling, labor intensive work and the effort seems to outweigh the feeling of satisfaction. Or maybe it's just that the process takes so long, you forget where you came from. The DIY route cost about 1/3 of what it normally would, but it would probably be worth it to get a second job for a year instead and pay someone to install it.

Wish I had a nice little montage of pics to show like Fixer Upper, but alas, I have a ton of work (you know, the kind that pays the bills) to do between now and tomorrow afternoon. Just look at the post a few back where I pretended I was finished with the siding. That will give you some idea. :)

(Doh! I was in such a hurry to get to that meeting that I forgot to re-attach the cable and phone lines to the house. My impatience is going to make such a liar out of me.....)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home