Time Thief

Friday, June 20, 2008

Reason #23

....why I'm not bringing plastic storage back into my kitchen -- observe lunch fresh out of the microwave:



Okay, that's not entirely true. I'll probably continue to use the plastic I have, but that's been dwindling as things get destroyed. In its place, I like to use the glass storage/cooking dishes I nabbed at my grandma's estate sale. I'm sure there's a name for them, but I don't know what that would be.

I also try to re-use as many glass food containers as I can (think wide-mouth, squat salsa jar). They're great for small bits of leftovers or storing an appropriately sized small meal. Since I can't recycle glass at the curb, they're kind of a pain to deal with otherwise.

Thinking about these for bulk food storage because they're so dern cute!

4 Comments:

  • We've been doing the same thing... we don't have too much plastic anymore since I organized our nails and screws with most of it!

    By Blogger Jennifer, at 8:41 PM  

  • Ooooh, good idea. I could do that with the small amount of plastic I have left and not bring any of it back to the kitchen.

    By Blogger SmilingJudy, at 9:51 AM  

  • Yeah, in general I have become scared of using #7 (polycarbonate) plastic, although I don't worry too much about regular "tupperware". I threw out all of the #7 baby bottles we had and bought glass ones for baby #2.

    Are you talking about pyrex glass dishes with the nesting lids? My mom always called those "refrigerator dishes". I will look them up in my pyrex book (I have become a low level collector). I like using them because they are happy colors, have them in red, yellow, blue, etc. The problem for me is they are not totable to work.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:47 AM  

  • Yeah, I think they are just Pyrex. I like the colors too and the cute little random smallness of some of them. For work, you need to get a bento box! Still plastic, so booo. But they're cool anyway.

    By Blogger SmilingJudy, at 2:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home