Time Thief

Thursday, July 17, 2008

walls are nice

Okay, so I think it's been about five months now since I promised kitchen drywall shots. No? It just feels like it? Alright then.

Drywall guy was teh awesome. I didn't even check his references or anything. Went with my gut and it paid off. Wish I had found him before any of the other clowns I've allowed to touch my walls. (That includes the ex-BF who insisted on doing the drywall himself on the 2nd floor. I refused to help as I think drywall should ALWAYS be hired out.)

Here are the scraps being loaded into his truck simply because I like how he neatly stacked everything:



And now, walls. WALLS!




The nature room has walls after a year of living with insulation-colored wallpaper! Yay! Oh, and check out the fake-cathedral ceiling. Gonna look nifty with some paint and trim....




This shot was taken from the area I expect to spend most of my time someday. Lounging on a sofa, staring at the range. The 2x post will eventually be wrapped and trimmed to look all regal and column-like.




Here is the opposite direction of the last shot. The pass-through was previously a door. I needed the cabinet and counter space, but I wanted to keep the view open and catch as much light as possible. Upper cabinets are overrated anyway, so I just made enough room for a lower. The baking center will go here so I can stare out the window and contemplate life.




If you come over to do my dishes for me, this will be your perspective. I will be very appreciative and bake you some cookies. I hate doing dishes.




The temporary kitchen is now in the....kitchen. Well, it was in this shot. Guess it isn't now. But we'll talk about that another day.




Here is the long view from the dining room. Note that the horizontal plane of each room division is on the same level. This was not by accident. I framed in the plumbing-pipe between the kitchen and dining room to end up at the same height as that between the dining room and living room (original, not shown here). Drywall guy even had to use 1/4" drywall on the underside to get everything to line up.

Then I shimmed out the bottom of the beam between dining room and nature room, as well as the pass-through, so everything lines up. It's one of those things you wouldn't notice unless everything ended up at slightly different heights. Then it would look all janky and troubling. Believe me, they were ALL at different levels. It means I lost some "ceiling" height, but I think it's worth it.




I am contemplating changing the bottom of the pass-through. The original plan was to extend the countertop over it so I would have a larger workspace. I may raise it to be horizontally even with the bottom of the kitchen window. The proportions may be more pleasing and it would also probably save some $$ on countertop. Still simmering on that one, so we shall see.




The back bedroom (which I demoed because I thought I was going to enlarge the kitchen) is hardly worth mentioning since I'm not working on it nor do I plan to work on it until the distant future. Here it is anyway. It is totally cat domain until the kitchen cabs are installed and I finish their secret passageway to the basement. Oh yes. There will be a secret passageway.




This was an average-sized post-war closet. It is now a closet for a very skinny man. Not really. I'm going to turn this into a shelving area. The rest of the closet was given over to the kitchen footprint.

Of course, everything still pretty much looks like this. Oh, I've been doing things and if I am not lazy, you will read about these wonderful things. But, still, the fact remains that it looks pretty much the same as this. But with more junk strewn about.

Based on the original time estimate from cabinet guy, I'm thinking they'll be ready in the next week or so. I just ordered the kitchen floor last week and I really want to put it down before cabs so I don't lose any counter height. Will it happen? Which will arrive first? Stay tuned....

Labels:

2 Comments:

  • Your walls and house look fantastic! It makes me even more excited about hiring a professional drywaller to save us from or poor attempts at it. By the way, I love that you're building a secret passageway. Glad I found your blog and that you found mine!

    By Blogger Liz, at 2:06 PM  

  • This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home