Time Thief

Tuesday, August 19, 2008

the last goodbye

Before I start posting any "new" kitchen stuff, thought I would share these lovely nuggets before we say goodbye.


The original lino - black with goldish swoops. I seriously considered replacing with something similar.

brown trim

Evidence that the trim was painted brownish-pink at some point.

green paint

And was once accompanied by a lovely shade of green. :)

safe wire

Yet another "safe" wiring upgrade.


Original wallpaper. I found this behind the trim also, so it seems pretty sure this was the original, builder installed stuff.


Some old carpet. Can you imagine this with the wallpaper above?!!??!

Ugh. So glad it's gone.

Sunday, August 17, 2008

legendary injuries

I am a klutz. I often hurt myself when remodeling (or doing anything). It's not uncommon to find a large bruise, cut, or scrape and have absolutely no idea where it came from. But sometimes....sometimes the injuries are so graphic and odd they fall into the category of 'those injuries you'll never forget'. I've sustained a few of them at the Time Thief.

- The time I cut my leg open when removing steel siding from the house (within the first 45 minutes of starting the project).
- The time my "free" plumber BF dripped hot solder on my arm (more my fault than his).
- The time the end of a pencil punctured my torso.

I still have the scars from all of these things. Yesterday, I added a new one to the list. And this one is just plain odd. I'm not even sure how it happened. But I do know that it happened within 30 minutes of starting work. There must be something about digging into a new project that causes me to attack rather than think.

I was using a drill, it slipped and the drill bit went THROUGH my hand. Not just into the skin. I've had that happen before. It hurt, but no big deal. I can't even find the scar from that. This thing went in and came out the other side. I have the holes to prove it. Luckily it was on the fleshy part under the pinky so I doubt there'll be any long-term damage. But it was just so odd and even took me a while to realize it came out the other side. The drill bit still worked fine after I wiped off the human tissue. :)

Fortunately (knock wood) there has been no saw blade-to-skin contact nor any serious nail gun injuries. I'll try to keep it that way. Be safe out there, kids.